My name is Katie Mahon, I’m a Mechanical Engineer from Co. Wexford, Ireland with a passion for the outdoors. I am motivated by environmental & social issues and love to get involved with organisations & projects doing their part to address issues of global inequality and ANYTHING relating to climate change – whether it’s policy change, gentle activism, business practices, or the individual impact of our own day-to-day lives.
My day job is BSG Program Manager at Engineers Without Borders Ireland, where I work on:
- Building a network of engineers in Ireland who can learn more and contribute to global development projects
- Linking Irish engineering companies with partner organisations overseas to improve communities in small ways
- Giving science & engineering college students the chance to learn more about global development issues through our competition titled “Where There Is No Engineer“
- Raise awareness of STEM subjects (Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics) with the next generation through events with primary & post-primary level students.
- Educate & engage European citizens on SDG11 Sustainable Cities and Communities through the Build Solid Ground campaign.
Previous jobs have included Pressure Vessel Design Team Lead with BCD Engineering, Clean Cookstove Design with Burn Manufacturing, and off-grid hydro and solar hybrid system installation with Smart Hydro Power.
As a Jack of all trades, some of my other hats include:
Volunteer Project Co-ordinator with Refill Ireland
Member of Board of Directors at EIL Intercultural Learning
ZW Ambassador & Volunteer with Zero Waste Festival Ireland
And previously Zero Waste Wexford (2017)
Member of Board of Directors at The Urban Co-op, Limerick
(Nov 2017 – Nov 2018)
Member of Ireland Says Welcome, Comhlamh Working Group
I love hill-walking, running, cycling, cooking, crafts, sewing, COFFEE, swimming in the sea, rewatching Planet Earth, yoga, and spending far too much time involved in social & environmental causes that I am passionate about. I have also recently started collecting books that I will read in my hypothetical spare time…
Living in Dublin city I am lucky to have the option to cycle everywhere. Cheap, efficient and environmentally friendly.
My next exciting adventure involves being a part of a 1 year programme called Homeward Bound. Learn more on the next page….